multi-cultural weekend

I don't think I have had so many cultural experiences back to back in my life, as I have this weekend. This weekend was a full work weekend (14 hours yesterday and 4 today), thrown in with seeing an old family friend tonight which was awesome.

Last night was the International Show here at Salem. Absolutely amazing, truly. Salem has a pretty high ratio of international students right now, and they are precious. Some of the nicest people I have ever met. I'm not kidding - I'll drive shuttles around for students sometimes and these girls will get out of the bus and every single last one will say thank you! They make my job so nice. But back to the show. So the show was a performance showcase of dance and music from 8 different countries from all over the world, including Japan, China, Nepal, India, and Africa. It was so interesting to see the costumes and dances from each country. The entire show was so professional! Here is a picture of the Nepali ladies singing one of their national folk songs:




SO, then this afternoon the International Club had an event on campus called "Holi" which is the Hindu Festival of Colors. It basically involves running around chasing other people with paint and water. =) I didn't "participate" for a number of reasons, but sure had fun taking a ton of pictures. Here's a picture below just for kicks!



And finally tonight, I had the chance to attend the senior recital of Sarah Labiner, a dear family friend from Charlotte, Providence High C'05 and NC School of the Arts C'09. I was blown away by her opera performance! I know I sound like I am always positive, but truly, I am not speaking fluff on here. She was amazing! Our world will definitely be seeing this lady in the future! I also realized how much I loved opera. I have always adored musical theater, but I'm kind of excited to learn that I love opera as well.


Sarah in her glory tonight






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter and Spring 2017 Recap (A "life of Brooke" shocker!!)

pre-wedding festivities continue!

Capri and Getting Home (final italy blog)