an amazing legacy


I thought I understood the legacy that Salem alumnae share.....but I didn't, really. Not until this weekend.
I had the chance this weekend to "crash" the reunion weekend as an employee, even though my own reunion won't be until 2012. I was blown away. You see, it doesn't matter if we attended Salem at the same time. Or if we've even met each other before. It's more than a sorority - it is an unbreakable sisterhood. It's hard to describe in words without sounding cheesy or hoaky. No one else really understands. What blew me away this weekend was watching women who were here for their 60th (YES, 60th!) reunion walking around campus acting as if they never left. They sat around their old favorite benches, hugged, held hands, giggled, laughed, screamed with excitment, and danced to a live band like they were 25 again. It brought me to tears thinking that "their" Salem is also "my" Salem. We've walked the same brick sidewalks....lived in the same rooms....graduted in the same May Dell. To all of us, our soul comes alive when we walk on this campus. There's a deep feeling of "welcome home" that I could tell these women were feeling - which I feel every day walking to work in the Shober House. To be able to share that with these older women is absolutely amazing. I don't think our current students fully embrace this legacy right now, but I hope that over time they will begin to fill the Salem connection to this amazing college and sisterhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter and Spring 2017 Recap (A "life of Brooke" shocker!!)

an epic week

pre-wedding festivities continue!