Holiday recap
This might have been the quickest December of my entire life thus far. I am so fortunate that I get four weeks away from work each year, and that I can use two of those weeks each December. By December 14 this year, I was D-O-N-E in every way possible - emotionally, physically, spiritually, socially. I was BEAT. The first part of my break was incredibly relaxing, and I finally began to unwind.
My sister and brother-in-law drove in from Tennessee for a quick visit with us before Christmas, since working at Apple keeps my sister away at Christmas. [Apple epically fails on holiday rotations]. We had a great time with them, eating out together, driving through the Christmas lights of McAdenville, and watching the televised "Bachelorette" wedding. [Well, the girls, anyway! We have no shame].
Once they left, I slept in each day as late as possible (we're talking noon, 11:00 am, 10:00 am - I was tired, ok?) and then sat by the Christmas tree listening to my mom teach her piano students. In between lessons my mom would play her own piano music. I remember being a tiny girl and falling asleep listening to my mom play piano downstairs. It would soothe me and lull me to sleep. It still makes me so happy to listen to her play, and I enjoyed those couple of days so much!
I did run back up to Winston one afternoon for my staff Christmas party, the groundbreaking of the new Student Center at Salem, a mani-pedi gift from my friend Katherine, and most of all, for a SNEAK PEEK OF DOWNTON ABBEY SEASON 3!!!!!! My friend Abby works for School of the Arts, and got our entire group of friends passes! Yes, I have friends in high places. If you are a fan of Downton....get ready for a great season! Episode one is wonderful!
My brother Jonathan flew in from California and we enjoyed two nights at our favorite cabin in Sevin Devils. My mom rocks!! It was a wonderful reprieve from the insanity of Charlotte at Christmastime, and gave us a chance to reunite with Jonathan after a year. The cabin itself is incredible - game room, movie theater room, outdoor fireplace, and hot tub - but we were also so fortunate that it snowed while were there! And, why yes, we did enjoy the hot tub while it was -2 degrees outside with snow blowing at 100 miles per hour! =) What's a little windburn and frozen hair?!! =) The best part of the mountain time was that my mom hung stockings by the indoor fireplace, in which we each inserted love notes to each other! On the second night we each sat reading numerous notes of encouragement, love, and admiration. I am keeping those precious notes close at hand for my busy time ahead! =)
We then came back to Charlotte and enjoyed our usual Christmas Eve traditions, which includes "Linner" at Cheesecake Factory, the Christmas Eve service at my childhood church, and a late night Christmas movie (usually Home Alone 2 or Miracle on 34th Street). My brothers are a little "bah humbug" but my brother Christopher tags along with our Christmas traditions. Jonathan hid away claiming boredom. Oh well! [Anyone have thoughts on how to encourage grown men to embrace sweet moments?]
On Christmas day we left for Greenville, NC, to see both grandmothers and my dad. My time in Greenville was HECTIC - having two sides of the family in the same town is a double edged sword - but it was GREAT. I adore time with my extended family so much. I also enjoyed some quality time with my dad. We went to Wilmington for the day so that he could see where Christopher works and lives. We watched several "Rocky" films - random - which I actually really enjoyed. We sat in my sweet grandmother's kitchen as she piddled around.
All in all, it was a wonderful Christmas season!
My sister and brother-in-law drove in from Tennessee for a quick visit with us before Christmas, since working at Apple keeps my sister away at Christmas. [Apple epically fails on holiday rotations]. We had a great time with them, eating out together, driving through the Christmas lights of McAdenville, and watching the televised "Bachelorette" wedding. [Well, the girls, anyway! We have no shame].
Once they left, I slept in each day as late as possible (we're talking noon, 11:00 am, 10:00 am - I was tired, ok?) and then sat by the Christmas tree listening to my mom teach her piano students. In between lessons my mom would play her own piano music. I remember being a tiny girl and falling asleep listening to my mom play piano downstairs. It would soothe me and lull me to sleep. It still makes me so happy to listen to her play, and I enjoyed those couple of days so much!
I did run back up to Winston one afternoon for my staff Christmas party, the groundbreaking of the new Student Center at Salem, a mani-pedi gift from my friend Katherine, and most of all, for a SNEAK PEEK OF DOWNTON ABBEY SEASON 3!!!!!! My friend Abby works for School of the Arts, and got our entire group of friends passes! Yes, I have friends in high places. If you are a fan of Downton....get ready for a great season! Episode one is wonderful!
My brother Jonathan flew in from California and we enjoyed two nights at our favorite cabin in Sevin Devils. My mom rocks!! It was a wonderful reprieve from the insanity of Charlotte at Christmastime, and gave us a chance to reunite with Jonathan after a year. The cabin itself is incredible - game room, movie theater room, outdoor fireplace, and hot tub - but we were also so fortunate that it snowed while were there! And, why yes, we did enjoy the hot tub while it was -2 degrees outside with snow blowing at 100 miles per hour! =) What's a little windburn and frozen hair?!! =) The best part of the mountain time was that my mom hung stockings by the indoor fireplace, in which we each inserted love notes to each other! On the second night we each sat reading numerous notes of encouragement, love, and admiration. I am keeping those precious notes close at hand for my busy time ahead! =)
We then came back to Charlotte and enjoyed our usual Christmas Eve traditions, which includes "Linner" at Cheesecake Factory, the Christmas Eve service at my childhood church, and a late night Christmas movie (usually Home Alone 2 or Miracle on 34th Street). My brothers are a little "bah humbug" but my brother Christopher tags along with our Christmas traditions. Jonathan hid away claiming boredom. Oh well! [Anyone have thoughts on how to encourage grown men to embrace sweet moments?]
On Christmas day we left for Greenville, NC, to see both grandmothers and my dad. My time in Greenville was HECTIC - having two sides of the family in the same town is a double edged sword - but it was GREAT. I adore time with my extended family so much. I also enjoyed some quality time with my dad. We went to Wilmington for the day so that he could see where Christopher works and lives. We watched several "Rocky" films - random - which I actually really enjoyed. We sat in my sweet grandmother's kitchen as she piddled around.
All in all, it was a wonderful Christmas season!
![]() |
| Is there anything more sad or precious than a grandmother waving goodbye at the door??? |




























Comments
Post a Comment