Exploring Forsyth County Part One: Bethabara Park!
I do not know how it is possible, yet somehow I had never visited Bethabara Park. This is a tragedy! I'll explain why.
Anyone who knows me knows that I graduated from Salem College. My mother graduated from Salem. A love of Old Salem and Salem College runs incredibly deep in my veins. I am grateful to be currently employed at this amazing place as well.
Salem just celebrated its 240th anniversary, which is significant! We are the 13th oldest university in the country, and the oldest women's college. The legacy and history of the campus and the village literally SCREAMS out to everyone who sets foot there.
The story behind Bethabara Park is that when the Moravian settlers traveled by foot from Pennsylvania to North Carolina in the 1750's, they first settled in what they called Bethabara. The nickname for it was "Wachovia." [Interesting note - yes, this where Wachovia Bank received its name!] It was a farming community strictly for the Moravians, but was not intended to be their final home. The village of Salem was finished in 1770, and Bethabara became desolate. All but three buildings were ultimately demolished. It was not until the 1960's that excavators began to unearth the foundations of the original buildings, and matched old Bethabara journal entries with the foundations they discovered. The Bethabara Park is now a historic landmark, and is an "open-air museum."
One afternoon last week, my boss gave me the afternoon off, and I went off to Bethabara to explore by myself for the afternoon. I had the most wonderful time learning and taking my time walking around the park!!
Anyone who knows me knows that I graduated from Salem College. My mother graduated from Salem. A love of Old Salem and Salem College runs incredibly deep in my veins. I am grateful to be currently employed at this amazing place as well.
Salem just celebrated its 240th anniversary, which is significant! We are the 13th oldest university in the country, and the oldest women's college. The legacy and history of the campus and the village literally SCREAMS out to everyone who sets foot there.
The story behind Bethabara Park is that when the Moravian settlers traveled by foot from Pennsylvania to North Carolina in the 1750's, they first settled in what they called Bethabara. The nickname for it was "Wachovia." [Interesting note - yes, this where Wachovia Bank received its name!] It was a farming community strictly for the Moravians, but was not intended to be their final home. The village of Salem was finished in 1770, and Bethabara became desolate. All but three buildings were ultimately demolished. It was not until the 1960's that excavators began to unearth the foundations of the original buildings, and matched old Bethabara journal entries with the foundations they discovered. The Bethabara Park is now a historic landmark, and is an "open-air museum."
One afternoon last week, my boss gave me the afternoon off, and I went off to Bethabara to explore by myself for the afternoon. I had the most wonderful time learning and taking my time walking around the park!!






Comments
Post a Comment