Prior to "Winston-Salem", there was Winston, and there was Salem. Salem was Moravian, Winston was not. The details of the merger is literally as simple as the fact that the post offices needed to simplify things. I guess that a hyphen was easier than a rename? Go figure.
So, the Salem side of town was formed by a group of Moravians; men, women and children. I bet that you didn't know that Moravians were among the first cultures in the new America to consider education of women to be equally as important as educating men! They were an outstanding community, of which a group of women walked from Bethlehem, PA to the village of Salem to form Salem school for girls. Today, we have Salem Academy and Salem College. Quite an amazing legacy.
For years, a trip for students to visit Bethlehem has been in the works. This year we finally made it happen! Four of us on staff led a 40 student trip to Hershey, Bethlehem, and then New York City. Naturally, Hershey was a great time of tasting chocolate, smelling chocolate, and resisting the temptation to BUY tons of chocolate. Our time in Bethlehem was emotional and memorable, purely for the sentiment that the founding sisters of our beloved campus were raised in the Bethlehem community. I think that our students would have cried - had it not been as cold as the north pole while we were there! From there we went to New York City for sightseeing, (a little) shopping, and to see the musical "Wicked!" Everyone had a great time. Can I be honest? Wicked was better in Charlotte! I kid not. But, really, who can complain when it's a musical ON broadway. Still super fun! Yet another reason why I love my job! And can I also just say.....we were soo very glad to get back home for Christmas!

 |
| The singing cows .The cheesiest thing you've ever seen, but OH MY, did it hit a funny bone with me. Maybe because I was tired?? |
 |
| The Fab Four group leaders! |
 |
| Man, I wish I could figure out how to rotate this one. But this was definitely my favorite Christmas decoration in the city! |
 |
| WICKED!!!!! |
|
 |
| In the words of the cowardly lion, "ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth!!" |
Comments
Post a Comment