and he loves Jesus!
Blog friends, I have to share what happened to me yesterday. I'm still blushing.
But I need to give you some background first!
Once a year my alma mater (and as you know, my current campus employer) holds an annual Fall Fest. To the dismay of the professors, classes are cancelled. An overall theme is picked by a student chairperson, and then each class picks a theme within that theme. Each class has to create elaborate breakfast decorations, a parade entrance, and a skit including music and dance. (This is what happens when a campus doesn't have football. Or homecoming). It was pretty much my favorite activity as a student, and I feel like the luckiest girl on the planet that my job involves overseeing this insanity.
Even more background....eight months ago was spring break. Only two of were working in my building. Two students walked in to say hello. In their sweetness, they said that they wanted me to find a man. I told them that I would love them forever if they found me one. They asked for criteria, and I listed things like age, height, kindness, job. You know, the good stuff. My work friend who knows me well spoke up and said "oh, and he has to love Jesus." True, true! The students said they were "on it."
So, yesterday was Fall Fest. I just happened to be one of the judges. Usually this means that students will send goodies for about two weeks as a bribe for favorable scoring. For some reason, bribes just didn't really happen this year. When I mentioned this to the seniors, they said, "oh, don't you even worry about that. We're cooking up something to give judges at breakfast."
As the seniors woke up the college president at her home in the historic village at 6:00 am yesterday morning, I was there taking pictures. (Yes, I can actually rise before dawn if needed.....sigh). A senior said to me, "Brooke, what are you wearing today?" When I said that I would be wearing my judges shirt and either shorts or jeans, she said, "Well, I am going to need you to wear jeans, and to make sure your contacts are in." I just laughed. And then proceeded to do makeup as normal, but spent extra time on my hair, ha!
Fast forward two hours. I'm sitting at the judges table beside the college president at breakfast. One by one, the judges received a bag of goodies from the seniors.....but not me. The seniors then said to me, "we have a surprise for you." All of a sudden, this adorable (okay, HOT) man dressed in a suit walks up with a flower for me! The senior in charge (the then-junior from the spring break story) said, "we found a gentleman for you....and don't worry, he loves Jesus!" I died laughing!!! Not at Jesus, of course. But in embarrassment at this silliness in front of 200 people! This hot man and I have yet to officially speak, and I may never see him again. (Although, students kept asking me all day about him). Once he handed me that flower, he stayed with the seniors at their corner for a while, and then was gone. I am still blushing as I write this! And I am so touched that these students would go that level to make me feel special, bribe or not. I adore them to pieces!
And....on a very serious note......talk about a test of faith. On a liberal campus, I am somewhat quiet about my conservative views and my faith views. Professors have more ability to share their personal life than student affairs staff. And it is very unpopular in America to be a student affairs staff member who is Christian. But why have I been subdued about the one who took human form and died for me? How wrong is that? Well, if the campus didn't know already, they know now. All 200 people who were in that room know that I love Jesus! And, really, how cool is that? Well, only cool if if my life has been worthy of the calling of following Jesus. I am almost in tears right now, praying that my life has been a good representation that draws others toward Him and not away. The last thing that I want is anyone in that room to say "well, if she is a Christian, I don't want to be one." I hope that they might reconsider Christianity if they hadn't already. Pray for me as I work in the hard field of higher ed? Thanks, friends! And if I ever meet again this man that "loves Jesus." I'll be sure to blog about it! =)
But I need to give you some background first!
Once a year my alma mater (and as you know, my current campus employer) holds an annual Fall Fest. To the dismay of the professors, classes are cancelled. An overall theme is picked by a student chairperson, and then each class picks a theme within that theme. Each class has to create elaborate breakfast decorations, a parade entrance, and a skit including music and dance. (This is what happens when a campus doesn't have football. Or homecoming). It was pretty much my favorite activity as a student, and I feel like the luckiest girl on the planet that my job involves overseeing this insanity.
Even more background....eight months ago was spring break. Only two of were working in my building. Two students walked in to say hello. In their sweetness, they said that they wanted me to find a man. I told them that I would love them forever if they found me one. They asked for criteria, and I listed things like age, height, kindness, job. You know, the good stuff. My work friend who knows me well spoke up and said "oh, and he has to love Jesus." True, true! The students said they were "on it."
So, yesterday was Fall Fest. I just happened to be one of the judges. Usually this means that students will send goodies for about two weeks as a bribe for favorable scoring. For some reason, bribes just didn't really happen this year. When I mentioned this to the seniors, they said, "oh, don't you even worry about that. We're cooking up something to give judges at breakfast."
As the seniors woke up the college president at her home in the historic village at 6:00 am yesterday morning, I was there taking pictures. (Yes, I can actually rise before dawn if needed.....sigh). A senior said to me, "Brooke, what are you wearing today?" When I said that I would be wearing my judges shirt and either shorts or jeans, she said, "Well, I am going to need you to wear jeans, and to make sure your contacts are in." I just laughed. And then proceeded to do makeup as normal, but spent extra time on my hair, ha!
Fast forward two hours. I'm sitting at the judges table beside the college president at breakfast. One by one, the judges received a bag of goodies from the seniors.....but not me. The seniors then said to me, "we have a surprise for you." All of a sudden, this adorable (okay, HOT) man dressed in a suit walks up with a flower for me! The senior in charge (the then-junior from the spring break story) said, "we found a gentleman for you....and don't worry, he loves Jesus!" I died laughing!!! Not at Jesus, of course. But in embarrassment at this silliness in front of 200 people! This hot man and I have yet to officially speak, and I may never see him again. (Although, students kept asking me all day about him). Once he handed me that flower, he stayed with the seniors at their corner for a while, and then was gone. I am still blushing as I write this! And I am so touched that these students would go that level to make me feel special, bribe or not. I adore them to pieces!
And....on a very serious note......talk about a test of faith. On a liberal campus, I am somewhat quiet about my conservative views and my faith views. Professors have more ability to share their personal life than student affairs staff. And it is very unpopular in America to be a student affairs staff member who is Christian. But why have I been subdued about the one who took human form and died for me? How wrong is that? Well, if the campus didn't know already, they know now. All 200 people who were in that room know that I love Jesus! And, really, how cool is that? Well, only cool if if my life has been worthy of the calling of following Jesus. I am almost in tears right now, praying that my life has been a good representation that draws others toward Him and not away. The last thing that I want is anyone in that room to say "well, if she is a Christian, I don't want to be one." I hope that they might reconsider Christianity if they hadn't already. Pray for me as I work in the hard field of higher ed? Thanks, friends! And if I ever meet again this man that "loves Jesus." I'll be sure to blog about it! =)
Comments
Post a Comment