Roma
I finally edited the Rome pictures, which means I've now edited 400 of 1300 pictures from Italy! Yikes.Do you think I went a little crazy? I need two entire days to edit all of the photos.
Many people have been to Rome, probably including my readers! It is a busy, hectic, gorgeous, historic, romantic, and vibrant city. It was our first stop in Italy, and it blew me away. Instead of cookie cutter buildings, the brightly colored architecture of the "newer" sections of Rome are unique and eye catching. The fact that the ancient is mixed into the "new" is such a dichotomy. Suddenly I realized that America seems more like an awkward teenager compared to how settled Europe feels.
We traveled all over Rome, and I swear that I have never walked so much in my life. It was worth it, but my feet hated me so much. We toured the Colosseum and Vatican City, walked all over the center city, and ate dinner in the cutest restaurants imaginable. Two nights was plenty, but I do wish we had been able to stay for one more night.
Two funny stories of Rome! Heather and I had different flights into Rome (since she had a week in Switzerland before Italy, lucky girl), and so we met at the hostel where we were staying. When I arrived at the airport, I quickly tried to find the "safest" looking shuttle service. Well, I found Luca. He drove three groups of people in his van into the city. And....he dropped me off last. He immediately started trying to get me to meet him later for a date. He said "You. Me. Spanish Steps. A little vino. No?" He also had me guess his age. I guessed pretty accurately, which was 46. He said, "I look good for 46, no?" He also offered to drive me and "my friend" around for free that evening. Sweet, but Oh my goodness. I decided that with my shoulder bag over my shoulder, which had all of my important paperwork, that I would literally jump out of the car if he tried anything bad or pulled into any dark allies. Thankfully, I did not end up on the side of the road, and I did NOT call him later for vino and a date on the Spanish Steps! =) Four hours later, Heather and I were walking around the Colosseum, and all of a sudden we hear a boom box playing, OF ALL THINGS, Steve Miller's song "the joker." It was right at the whistle part (if you know the song, you know), and I could hear Italian men whistling with it as they listened. I died laughing, and couldn't stop for a while. What a weird combination.....to be at the ANCIENT Colosseum, and of American music possible, "The Joker." Ha! Too funny. (And, sadly, I did not find a Bryan McKensie at a revival house in Rome. Sigh. If you know that movie, well, you know what I mean).
Many people have been to Rome, probably including my readers! It is a busy, hectic, gorgeous, historic, romantic, and vibrant city. It was our first stop in Italy, and it blew me away. Instead of cookie cutter buildings, the brightly colored architecture of the "newer" sections of Rome are unique and eye catching. The fact that the ancient is mixed into the "new" is such a dichotomy. Suddenly I realized that America seems more like an awkward teenager compared to how settled Europe feels.
We traveled all over Rome, and I swear that I have never walked so much in my life. It was worth it, but my feet hated me so much. We toured the Colosseum and Vatican City, walked all over the center city, and ate dinner in the cutest restaurants imaginable. Two nights was plenty, but I do wish we had been able to stay for one more night.
Two funny stories of Rome! Heather and I had different flights into Rome (since she had a week in Switzerland before Italy, lucky girl), and so we met at the hostel where we were staying. When I arrived at the airport, I quickly tried to find the "safest" looking shuttle service. Well, I found Luca. He drove three groups of people in his van into the city. And....he dropped me off last. He immediately started trying to get me to meet him later for a date. He said "You. Me. Spanish Steps. A little vino. No?" He also had me guess his age. I guessed pretty accurately, which was 46. He said, "I look good for 46, no?" He also offered to drive me and "my friend" around for free that evening. Sweet, but Oh my goodness. I decided that with my shoulder bag over my shoulder, which had all of my important paperwork, that I would literally jump out of the car if he tried anything bad or pulled into any dark allies. Thankfully, I did not end up on the side of the road, and I did NOT call him later for vino and a date on the Spanish Steps! =) Four hours later, Heather and I were walking around the Colosseum, and all of a sudden we hear a boom box playing, OF ALL THINGS, Steve Miller's song "the joker." It was right at the whistle part (if you know the song, you know), and I could hear Italian men whistling with it as they listened. I died laughing, and couldn't stop for a while. What a weird combination.....to be at the ANCIENT Colosseum, and of American music possible, "The Joker." Ha! Too funny. (And, sadly, I did not find a Bryan McKensie at a revival house in Rome. Sigh. If you know that movie, well, you know what I mean).
Our dinner spot, night two! =)









Oh my goodness! The photos are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! I must go, I must go now.
ReplyDeleteLOVE your pictures... SO jealous! Let's go to Rome when I turn 30, too, k?
ReplyDelete