sentimentalist
Right now I'm stuffed with food. very nostalgic. and asking God questions.
It was a wonderful Thanksgiving! So much fun. I drove to Lynchburg, Chapel Hill and Greenville, all within 48 hours so that I could see all of my grandparents and relatives. I wouldn't have had it any other way. (By the way, pics coming soon, and maybe some videos). I giggled and sang Taylor Swift songs with my 15-year old cousins, watched my brother and 28 year old cousin make fools of themselves playing Wii, had precious moments with both of my grandmothers, and ate until I was literally sick! I am now back at Salem and missing everyone greatly.
I am not someone that handles change well. So the fact that my dad's parents had to move out of their home two years ago because of mold, causing us to celebrate at other places, breaks my heart. I miss walking up the stone steps into a house smelling of my grandmother's gravy and sounding exactly like a house full of 30 family members should. I missing being 10 years old and making up scary stories with my cousins about the basement. I miss sitting in the living room with everyone as we opened gifts. My memories of the house are as vivid as if they took place today. And apparently I am still not over the move!! I have felt it very deeply over the last two years. Thankfully, my mom's mom has not moved out of her house. I LOVE sitting in her amazing sun room with its panels of glass surrounded by her backyard that reminds me of "The Secret Garden" with its brick pathways, trees and flowers. I treasure the memories of sitting in that same room and talking with Weesie for hours. I am so thankful for the memories of these homes, and so glad that I still get to see one of them. I have to remind myself that I am fortunate to still get to see the people, which is the most important part.
This holiday was a hard reminder to me of the fact that God's plan is often NOT what we want or expect. When I was about 18 years old, I had this assumption that OF COURSE when I was 30 I would be married with at least one child. I would joyously travel with my husband and child to see the families, and everyone would love playing with my kid(s). My grandparents would get to have great-grandchildren and we would take the typical "4 generation" pictures. My little cousins (that were born when I was 15) would be 15 when I was 30, and they would be the ones babysitting MY kids. Life would come full circle. HA! Isn't this a very typical "girls dream?" Needless to say, life has not worked out that way. And in the midst of my questions to God - when is it my turn? why? - I am trying hard (and not well) to remember His faithfulness and to realize that His plan is always perfect. Some days are better than others - and the holidays are sometimes the hard ones.
It was a wonderful Thanksgiving! So much fun. I drove to Lynchburg, Chapel Hill and Greenville, all within 48 hours so that I could see all of my grandparents and relatives. I wouldn't have had it any other way. (By the way, pics coming soon, and maybe some videos). I giggled and sang Taylor Swift songs with my 15-year old cousins, watched my brother and 28 year old cousin make fools of themselves playing Wii, had precious moments with both of my grandmothers, and ate until I was literally sick! I am now back at Salem and missing everyone greatly.
I am not someone that handles change well. So the fact that my dad's parents had to move out of their home two years ago because of mold, causing us to celebrate at other places, breaks my heart. I miss walking up the stone steps into a house smelling of my grandmother's gravy and sounding exactly like a house full of 30 family members should. I missing being 10 years old and making up scary stories with my cousins about the basement. I miss sitting in the living room with everyone as we opened gifts. My memories of the house are as vivid as if they took place today. And apparently I am still not over the move!! I have felt it very deeply over the last two years. Thankfully, my mom's mom has not moved out of her house. I LOVE sitting in her amazing sun room with its panels of glass surrounded by her backyard that reminds me of "The Secret Garden" with its brick pathways, trees and flowers. I treasure the memories of sitting in that same room and talking with Weesie for hours. I am so thankful for the memories of these homes, and so glad that I still get to see one of them. I have to remind myself that I am fortunate to still get to see the people, which is the most important part.
This holiday was a hard reminder to me of the fact that God's plan is often NOT what we want or expect. When I was about 18 years old, I had this assumption that OF COURSE when I was 30 I would be married with at least one child. I would joyously travel with my husband and child to see the families, and everyone would love playing with my kid(s). My grandparents would get to have great-grandchildren and we would take the typical "4 generation" pictures. My little cousins (that were born when I was 15) would be 15 when I was 30, and they would be the ones babysitting MY kids. Life would come full circle. HA! Isn't this a very typical "girls dream?" Needless to say, life has not worked out that way. And in the midst of my questions to God - when is it my turn? why? - I am trying hard (and not well) to remember His faithfulness and to realize that His plan is always perfect. Some days are better than others - and the holidays are sometimes the hard ones.
We are two peas in a pod on the change thing. I HATE it - and I try to use the word hate cautiously, but changes deserves it:).
ReplyDeleteGod does have a special plan for each of us, and usually we aren't in on it. I often beg to be let in on the plan, but I assume if I was let in I'd probably want to be let back out!
Dinner soon?