The update!!!
Since this blog is somewhat of a diary, and since I am anal retentive about chronological order, I am determined to write about the last six months in perfect order. I'm sure my eleven followers will understand! =)
The biggest change of the last year was.....
MOVING TO IDAHO!!!!!
[Clearly you all know me, already, so this comes as no big shock]
The process began last winter when I decided to begin the job hunt. The decision to begin searching was based on many things: the fact I was nearing the end of my fifth year in my last position, my desire to focus solely on New Student Orientation rather than student activities, and most importantly, the near-completion of the Masters degree. I was fortunate to be phone interviewed by a handful of institutions, and to be offered on-campus interviews. As I applied, it almost felt like applying to college again. There were positions which I viewed myself as being overqualifed for, some that I felt sufficiently qualified for, and others which were complete longshots ("reach" positions). When I applied, I simply prayed, as I always do, "God, your will be done, not mine." Lo and behold, Idaho was His will.
In three pivotal moments of my life - interviewing for a major college scholarship as a senior in high school, interviewing for my last position, and interviewing for my current position - I can recall feeling a sense of awe, as the interview process just seemed seamless. The Idaho interview experience was truly wonderful, as I clicked with their staff over the phone and in-person.
As I visited the Idaho campus in July, I absolutely fell in love. I drove into town, through the beauty of the mountains, seeing desert colors so different from North Carolina, and I began to cry! It took my breath away. I drove around town running errands, as if I lived there, trying to get a feel for the people, the traffic (lol, more on that), the shopping (more on that, sigh), and the campus. The reality was that I found myself thinking if I don't live here, I will literally be heartbroken! Something about Idaho and the campus simply felt like home, almost instantly. The only issue was the distance from family. But I simply prayed constantly for God to arrange my life in His wisdom and for His purpose (whether for my own good, or simply as part of His bigger plan). I returned to North Carolina and tried to downplay to my family just how much I loved Idaho already. =) I immediately went into family mode for my stepsisters's wedding, and waited for news. Within five days, I had an answer - and clearly, it was an offer!
I was in the midst of family vacation when I got the call. I was ECSTATIC, but it was also one of the hardest decisions of my adult life to that point. The obvious downside was the distance. How in the world was I going to live that far away from family and friends again? For nine years I had been back from California, where I spent two years dealing with distance, expensive flights, and missing important occasions. I wasn't so sure that I could do that again. My sweet grandmothers were nine years older than the last time I lived across the country, and I had to consider those implications. My mom already had two children living far away in other time zones...was I about to add a third one??
After praying HARD, crying, and talking to all immediate family, I knew my answer. My new home would be Idaho!! I called and accepted the position. I had tremendous peace that this position was my perfect next step, professionally and personally. When I hung up the phone after accepting, I actually jumped up and down with excitement!
And thus began one of the biggest adventures of my life! I gave three weeks notice to my supervisor, moved out of my asbestos-infested apartment by August 1, lived with friends in Winston-Salem for two weeks, ended work on August 14, spent a week saying goodbye to loved ones, and began a cross-country road trip with my mom on August 25!!
Comments
Post a Comment