Summer 2013
Does summer ever really last as long as we'd like it to? This summer was exceptionally fast for me. There were moments of great joy and moments of great frustration. There was personal growth and personal challenge. I'd be lying if I said this was a restful summer. Restful it was NOT.
Summer started off with a bang. Literally.
Imagine being a single woman, say, in your early thirties. Let's just say that you live alone, and that you hate living alone. Let's also say that one of your worst fears is experiencing an intruder when you are at home. Let's say that you barricade yourself into your bedroom while you sleep because at least someone trying to "get you" would wake you up with noise. Let's say that this "woman" is me. (Clearly). One fateful June night around 3:00 am in the morning, I woke up to a MASSIVE (and I mean, massive) boom sound in my apartment. The aforementioned barricade (AKA chair propped under the door handle since there is no lock on the door..ugh) was no longer in place. First thoughts? Oh my word, someone's here. I am going to be attacked. They are going to TAKE ME! I am going to die. Heart pounding in my chest, I realized that I should at least try to get the "barricade" back and escape into my bathroom. I walked to the door, (saying OUT LOUD "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus....") and barricaded that door as fast as I could. I maaaayy have also said (out loud) "In the name of Jesus, you have no business here." (Ha! In retrospect, knowing what it was, it's pretty funny to me now). Not hearing any footsteps at all, I then realized it was probably a tree that had fallen or something, and after about two hours of calming myself down, I slept hard until daylight. (You better believe I wasn't going to open that door until daylight). A few hours later, I tried to leave my room.....and, I could not. The door (which entered the dining room area) was blocked shut. Thankfully this 1920's style apartment had oddly-connecting rooms, so I went through the other rooms, and then saw this......
That's right. My dining room ceiling (directly beside my bedroom, mind you) had COLLAPSED. What. The. Heck?!! Thus began a two-week nightmare of dealing with a landlord who did do anything for three days because he was out of town, and who would not get the tile and insulation tested for asbestos. (I mentioned this was built in the 20's right??). After sneaking tile myself to get it tested, I learned that there was, in fact, asbestos in the unit. Sigh. I would have moved immediately, but I was job hunting (more on that later), and therefore not willing to sign a new lease anywhere else in Winston-Salem. Thankfully, between dear friends, planned vacations, job interviews, and a family wedding, I think I ended up sleeping there for all of five nights after it happened. And I will admit that the cleaning team at least rebuilt and cleaned everything well. God bless the new tenants, is all I have to say!
In happy thoughts, though......
Summer started off with a bang. Literally.
Imagine being a single woman, say, in your early thirties. Let's just say that you live alone, and that you hate living alone. Let's also say that one of your worst fears is experiencing an intruder when you are at home. Let's say that you barricade yourself into your bedroom while you sleep because at least someone trying to "get you" would wake you up with noise. Let's say that this "woman" is me. (Clearly). One fateful June night around 3:00 am in the morning, I woke up to a MASSIVE (and I mean, massive) boom sound in my apartment. The aforementioned barricade (AKA chair propped under the door handle since there is no lock on the door..ugh) was no longer in place. First thoughts? Oh my word, someone's here. I am going to be attacked. They are going to TAKE ME! I am going to die. Heart pounding in my chest, I realized that I should at least try to get the "barricade" back and escape into my bathroom. I walked to the door, (saying OUT LOUD "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus....") and barricaded that door as fast as I could. I maaaayy have also said (out loud) "In the name of Jesus, you have no business here." (Ha! In retrospect, knowing what it was, it's pretty funny to me now). Not hearing any footsteps at all, I then realized it was probably a tree that had fallen or something, and after about two hours of calming myself down, I slept hard until daylight. (You better believe I wasn't going to open that door until daylight). A few hours later, I tried to leave my room.....and, I could not. The door (which entered the dining room area) was blocked shut. Thankfully this 1920's style apartment had oddly-connecting rooms, so I went through the other rooms, and then saw this......
That's right. My dining room ceiling (directly beside my bedroom, mind you) had COLLAPSED. What. The. Heck?!! Thus began a two-week nightmare of dealing with a landlord who did do anything for three days because he was out of town, and who would not get the tile and insulation tested for asbestos. (I mentioned this was built in the 20's right??). After sneaking tile myself to get it tested, I learned that there was, in fact, asbestos in the unit. Sigh. I would have moved immediately, but I was job hunting (more on that later), and therefore not willing to sign a new lease anywhere else in Winston-Salem. Thankfully, between dear friends, planned vacations, job interviews, and a family wedding, I think I ended up sleeping there for all of five nights after it happened. And I will admit that the cleaning team at least rebuilt and cleaned everything well. God bless the new tenants, is all I have to say!
In happy thoughts, though......
annual Holden Beach trip with my mama!
![]() |
| For the second time in my life, I watched a mother sea turtle lay her eggs. motherhood is breathtaking! |
My step-sister's wedding weekend
![]() |
| happy couple! |
![]() |
| sis and bro-in-law! |
![]() |
| Lunch with our mama at the end of the weekend....first time that this crowd had all been together in at least a year! |
My god-daughters' First Birthday!
A Nashville weekend celebrating my best friend
And many other precious moments with family and friends!

































Comments
Post a Comment