TAXES


I'm going to do it. I'm going to go political for a minute. Granted, I only have about five people that I know read this, so I'm probably not going to offend any of them.

It's so ironic that I just did my coke hierarchy two nights ago. Last night I was reading USA Today and read about the proposed tax on soda, beverages with high fructose corn syrup, and alcohol.

http://usat.me/?35350514

I literally almost fell off my bed in shock. First thought - "are we back in 1773?" Second thought - "do I need to host my own Tea Party?" Granted, the circumstances at that time were different. The taxes were being levied by Britain without colonial representation. The new tax being proposed right now would be levied by our elected representation. I am also aware that certain taxes are expected and necessary for our civic services, most importantly being public education. I'm also not disagreeing that soda and high fructose corn syrup are bad for the body.

But the minute that a specific tax is levied upon a particular item, where does it end? What about coffee? (Can you imagine Starbucks' response? Actually, Starbucks is reason one that coffee would never be taxed). What about potatoes that are used in french fries? The government should not be taxing or discriminating against a personal beverage or food choice. And a bigger issue with this proposed tax is the government's hands becoming involved in our national health care. That could be a blog in itself. I admit, I am in favor of checks and balances within a "small" government. Our country was founded on the principles of "give me liberty or give me death." Our founding fathers knew this concept full well - liberty for all but all under God. What would they think today? About so many things?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter and Spring 2017 Recap (A "life of Brooke" shocker!!)

an epic week

pre-wedding festivities continue!