Visits with Ma Mere
I am so fortunate to have a mom who adores being with her children more than anything else in the world. I am so grateful for having a mom who sacrificed other things in order to visit me FOUR times in the first 18 months I lived out here - on top of moving me out here that previous summer! I have to tell ya - I needed that in the first year. I can't wait for her to be back out here again this fall! ;)
My mom is truly my closest confidante. I love that we can talk for hours and still have things left to say. I love that we both love adventures and trying new things. My goal for each of her visits is to explore new areas of Idaho/Wyoming/Montana.
When she moved me out here, the original plan was for her to stay for about three days. After an emotional breakdown on my part, she worked it out to stay for an additional week. Bless her! We had SO much fun exploring the area together that week. We went to the Eastern Idaho State Fair, watching crazy horse relay races and fun rodeo competitions. I won't lie, there was definitely a moment of "I moved here. This is different!" when we were at the fair. Ha. I introduced her to every restaurant I knew of based on my interview experience. We went to the Bengal Theater for my first campus movie experience. She came with me to my first ISU football game and tailgate. And when I got the phone call that a townhome rental was opening, she got me organized and settled within two days! I don't care how old I am, I will always melt with my mama's love.
Two months later, she came back for a fall adventure weekend. We made our first trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and had a fun encounter with the bison! Super fun.
In the winter of last year, we planned out a fun winter weekend here in Bannock County! We went to a local "Fire and Ice" Festival, went snowshoeing, soaked in the Lava Hot Springs, and watched the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Games together. (Side Note - the Olympics are our FAVORITE tradition together - and we didn't even plan for her trip to overlap with it - how lucky are we?!) We also went to a Mystery Dinner on campus with my friends Holly and Staci and their mothers. Best mom/daughter night!
Skip ahead to summer 2014, and my mom and sister BOTH came out here for a Barber Girls' Weekend! I cannot describe how nice it was to spend that time together. We literally NEVER get time like that anymore and we ate up every minute together. We stayed in Pocatello for a day so that Blair could see my work, home and town, but we spent most of our time in Jackson and Yellowstone. Because my mom's 60th birthday was coming up, we treated her to a dinner show in Jackson at a ranch. SO FUN.
Skip ahead to winter 2015, and my mom was back out here for much needed rest and relaxation after assisting my precious grandmother through stroke recovery. We traveled over to Sun Valley resort area, where we watched skiiers, ate at Pioneer Saloon, and stalked celebrity homes. (Who are the biggest Peter Cetera/Chicago fans around? These girls right here, that's who). We then went back to Jackson Hole for an amazing Gondola ride to the top of the ski resort, where we dined window-side watching boarders and skiiers. We went on a wagon ride through the Elk Refuge and then had an au-naturale car wash with goats. No joke. We attended a Tea on campus, where she met all of my Idaho friends. So much fun! And, while Staci and I attended class online, she completely organized my closet and apartment. Seriously, the best mom award (hands down) goes to Sandy Barber.
I am already looking forward to her coming out again this fall - we intend to go on a covered wagon ride through the woods of Wyoming! Yep, the western life is pretty great, y'all.
My mom is truly my closest confidante. I love that we can talk for hours and still have things left to say. I love that we both love adventures and trying new things. My goal for each of her visits is to explore new areas of Idaho/Wyoming/Montana.
When she moved me out here, the original plan was for her to stay for about three days. After an emotional breakdown on my part, she worked it out to stay for an additional week. Bless her! We had SO much fun exploring the area together that week. We went to the Eastern Idaho State Fair, watching crazy horse relay races and fun rodeo competitions. I won't lie, there was definitely a moment of "I moved here. This is different!" when we were at the fair. Ha. I introduced her to every restaurant I knew of based on my interview experience. We went to the Bengal Theater for my first campus movie experience. She came with me to my first ISU football game and tailgate. And when I got the phone call that a townhome rental was opening, she got me organized and settled within two days! I don't care how old I am, I will always melt with my mama's love.
Two months later, she came back for a fall adventure weekend. We made our first trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and had a fun encounter with the bison! Super fun.
In the winter of last year, we planned out a fun winter weekend here in Bannock County! We went to a local "Fire and Ice" Festival, went snowshoeing, soaked in the Lava Hot Springs, and watched the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Games together. (Side Note - the Olympics are our FAVORITE tradition together - and we didn't even plan for her trip to overlap with it - how lucky are we?!) We also went to a Mystery Dinner on campus with my friends Holly and Staci and their mothers. Best mom/daughter night!
Skip ahead to summer 2014, and my mom and sister BOTH came out here for a Barber Girls' Weekend! I cannot describe how nice it was to spend that time together. We literally NEVER get time like that anymore and we ate up every minute together. We stayed in Pocatello for a day so that Blair could see my work, home and town, but we spent most of our time in Jackson and Yellowstone. Because my mom's 60th birthday was coming up, we treated her to a dinner show in Jackson at a ranch. SO FUN.
Skip ahead to winter 2015, and my mom was back out here for much needed rest and relaxation after assisting my precious grandmother through stroke recovery. We traveled over to Sun Valley resort area, where we watched skiiers, ate at Pioneer Saloon, and stalked celebrity homes. (Who are the biggest Peter Cetera/Chicago fans around? These girls right here, that's who). We then went back to Jackson Hole for an amazing Gondola ride to the top of the ski resort, where we dined window-side watching boarders and skiiers. We went on a wagon ride through the Elk Refuge and then had an au-naturale car wash with goats. No joke. We attended a Tea on campus, where she met all of my Idaho friends. So much fun! And, while Staci and I attended class online, she completely organized my closet and apartment. Seriously, the best mom award (hands down) goes to Sandy Barber.
I am already looking forward to her coming out again this fall - we intend to go on a covered wagon ride through the woods of Wyoming! Yep, the western life is pretty great, y'all.
Comments
Post a Comment