Summer 2016 was good to me! It was fun, warm, and insanely fast! With so many unique things happening within my family (grandmother moving in with my mother, sister pregnant for the first time, etc), I decided that my two trips home to North Carolina this summer would be family-focused-only. I am so grateful for wonderful quality time this summer with my immediate family and grandmothers! And I do look forward to seeing east coast friends over the holidays, very much.
Blair's Baby Shower
Thank you, American Airlines, for having a special discount this summer on one-way plane tickets! Before my beach trip, I was able to fly into Nashville for my sister's baby shower. In fact, nearly all of my extended family was there, which was incredible. I don't think that a little baby has more gorgeous clothes than the soon-to-be born Audrey Arcaini. I also can't describe how surreal it is to see my little sister pregnant! This is going to be one adored little girl!
 |
| Almost unbelievable to have nearly the entire immediate family in one place at one time! |
Holden Beach 2016
This was my 32nd year going to this beautiful, calm, amazing beach that I call mine. After the baby shower in Nashville, mom and I drove to Charlotte to visit my sweet Weesie, and then hit the road into the early morning to be able to wake up at the beach!
I am so grateful that my mom has a student with a home on the island, and that a piano lesson barter has allowed us to get to the beach each summer since 2011. (Prior to that we rented, but it is getting increasingly hard to find reasonably priced homes - #keepingitreal). There have been many summers when it has just been my mom and I, or with only my youngest brother with us. This year, we had a full gang! Blair (6 months pregnant at the time) and her husband, and Christopher and his girlfriend, Paige, were there with us. We lounged on the beach, we went for walks, we played games, we ate at our favorite Calabash restaurant, and we played mini golf. It was magnificent!
 |
| Calabash traditions |
 |
| *The* Swing |
 |
| Annual Phase 10 tourney - don't mess! |
 |
| I think it is safe to say that Bennett the Pup loved it, too! Hahahahahaha. |
 |
| My favorite beach tradition: biking to the pier (most mornings) for a breakfast date with my mama! |
 |
| Words can't describe how I love this place. |
Visits with Weesie
Summer happiness for Brooke: being able to fit in visits with my amazing "Weesie" and convincing her to actually leave the house for a girls' lunch out!!
 |
| Visiting her rehabilitation facility |
 |
| Favorite tradition of Olive Garden! |
Lake Norman and Pennsylvania
For Memorial Day weekend, my brother and I both flew into Pennsylvania to visit with my dad and his wife. We biked, toured the new construction project my dad is overseeing at their church, ate delicious food (of course), enjoyed porch time, and watched movies. It was a fun and quick weekend!
 |
| Beautiful Pennsylvania |
 |
| Peaceful hiking moments |
 |
| Dinner on the porch every night |
At the very end of July, it was back to North Carolina to spend some time at Lake Norman with them again. My brother, Jonathan, flew in from California (yes, the Barbers need a private jet, if anyone is feeling gracious!), and my grandmother was there from Greenville.
 |
| Mi Padre |
 |
| Birthday celebration for my dad! |
 |
| I had the CUTEST partner for Settlers of Cattaan night! |
 |
| I mean, this lady beside me! |
 |
| Priceless memories |
 |
| Yes, she does!! Love her. |
 |
| Reunited with my favorite dog! Within 10 minutes of my arrival, she was cuddling. |
I also had two big adventures with friends this summer, and I am still smiling!
Abby Visit!
My Winston-Salem bestie, Abby, wrote me this past spring and asked, "would it work to visit you in June??" Ummm, yes!!!! We had the BEST time exploring four states of the west while she was here, including the crucial drive to Yellowstone Park and Jackson Hole. We laughed, we caught up on life, watched the Tony Awards, and she even helped me with a work event. I am so grateful for this 11-year friendship!
 |
| Grateful!! |
Vegas, Baby, Vegas!
The best part of being 30-something is having more freedom and ability to travel. My Idaho ladies and I decided that we needed to start a new tradition of an annual Girls' Getaway! With two of the ladies already moved away from Pocatello, and with it being likely that in the coming years we might all disperse around the country with our careers in higher education, this tradition is much needed! For this first year, four of us were able to meet in Vegas for a laid back weekend of poolside chatting, calorie-filled meals, and sunshine. Plans are in the works for 2017, and I couldn't be more grateful for these friendships - some of the best friends I have made in my life. (And go figure it would happen in Pocatello, ID).
 |
| Hibachi for the win! |
Summer Life in Pocatello
With three Idaho summers under my belt, I can say the following:
May and June are my favorite months in Idaho. The weather is PERFECTION (pool weather by day, sweatshirt by night), the hills are lusciously green, and there are countless outdoor activities.
 |
| No big deal, just another peaceful early summer walk in the neighborhood |
Work life for me, as Director of New Student Orientation, does NOT slow down in the summer. Regardless of the fact that we have a fall orientation model (rather than summer), the work load is constant - marketing, ordering gift items, finalizing contracts for entertainment, communicating with colleagues across the campus, and more. Thankfully, my team is energetic and hardworking, and we had a great New Student Orientation experience on the four campuses of ISU this August.
I still despise having to buy airfare to get family hugs, I still hate living nearly three hours from the reasonably-priced airport, and I still don't like the fact that I am a magnet on flights for the crying infants and kicking toddlers. But, I am still grateful that I am able to find great deals on most of the flights that I need each year.
I adore Pocatello. I TRULY LOVE THIS TOWN. I am so content living here in this calm town that has a wonderful ease of living and a gorgeous mountain backdrop. I feel gratefulness every single day, particularly in the summer when I sit on my balcony watching the sunset at 10 pm. However long I live here before moving on to the next adventure in my career, I intend to soak in the peace of this Idaho life to the fullest.
Comments
Post a Comment