Blogger friends, do any of you have a library card? I do NOT know why it took me three years of Idaho life to order a library card, but I finally did this summer, and it changed my world! By reading for enjoyment, I felt that I was reconnecting with 13-year-old Brooke who was never without a book in the car, on the bedside table, or in the backpack. This summer, I joined "Goodreads" so that I could follow my friends and look for book suggestions. In all, I read 14 books this summer. Here are my thoughts!
CHRISTIAN HISTORICAL FICTION
 |
| These were my absolute FAVORITE books in middle school. Re-reading them as an adult was SO MUCH BETTER! If you love history, enjoy Christian themes of redemption/mercy, and don't mind an Israeli perspective of World War II - you will LOVE THESE. |
 |
| Quite simply, Francine Rivers is brilliant. Her writing is intensely detailed and amazingly accurate to history. She is one of my favorite authors, and these three did NOT disappoint. I wept, over and over, reading these three books detailing the struggles and joys of early Christians in the Roman empire. Again, if you like history and you enjoy Christian themes, you will count these among your favorite books. |
CHICK LIT
 |
| Sophie Kinsella books can be a bit over the top (VERY unrealistic, odd character development), but I actually did enjoy this one! |
 |
| Ethics, friendship, and fresh starts. I loved it! |
 |
| Sure, this one was controversial for its look at assisted suicide. Romance-wise , I adored it! I may have sobbed like a child at the end. Whew! |
 |
| Fascinating read!!! The middle seemed to drag - because it was obvious what was coming (literally, the author alludes to it, throughout, and the facts are known already) - but the historical narrative of Ernest Hemingway's first marriage was beautifully written. |
 |
| Don't get me wrong, I love Emily Giffin books and her writing style. But.....what is with the constant theme of infidelity and reconnecting with former loves throughout her books?? It's a bit too much. Granted, I should have known by the title. In general, I am basically "meh" on this one. |
 |
| Like I said, Kinsella books are over the top, always. This one takes the cake, I think! I spent the entire book wanting to "shake" the lead character. I couldn't deal. I did finish it, but overall, "meh." |
SOCIOLOGY / PSYCHOLOGY
 |
| WONDERFUL look at the role of women within the modern workplace. I was very encouraged by it! |
 |
| It is NOT possible to go wrong reading something by Brene'. Her wholistic look at human development (including faith) encouraged me greatly this summer. I am currently reading her next book, Daring Greatly, and it is equally wonderful. |
CHRISTIAN LIT
 |
| Love CS Lewis. LOVED this creative perspective on an important spiritual topic! |
 |
| I didn't love the writing style, because I am ALL ABOUT chronology in biographical writing. I felt like I couldn't keep the author's story straight. Whew! However, this was a sweet book (pun intended), and I think Christian women going through any life disappointment would benefit from this perspective. |
Comments
Post a Comment