My Gramps

On January 9, my sweet Grandma went to wake up my wonderful Gramps from his usual morning nap on the couch in order to make him lunch.....and he was gone. His spirit was with his Heavenly Father. I have been delaying writing this post, because I still cannot appropriately articulate what he meant to me. But I did write him this letter six days after his death in my journal, as I was trying to find the words for the overwhelming sadness I was feeling.

Dearest Gramps, 

I love you with my whole heart, and miss you more than words can describe. You are sitting with the Lord, and we are all so at peace for you. But we now have a hole in our lives. We no longer can call you to chat. We will no longer get to sit with you at the kitchen table. We will no longer smile as you peacefully sleep on the couch. We will no longer get to see YOU smile. Gramps, you are loved more than you possibly knew while you were here. Thank you for always being interested in how I was REALLY doing, not just on the surface, but deep, deep down. You would always ask endless questions.  As I grew up, I didn't always understand why you did that. But now I know that you were truly interested in my dreams, my ambitions, and my soul. Thank you for showing me how much you love me. Thank you for showing us a faith in God that was unwavering. You trusted that God would always supply your needs. Thank you for that example of faith. Thank you for the legacy that you provided to all of us. Thank you for loving all of us so much. We all love you so much that this hole with you missing is incredibly hard to bear. 

Brookie  

My brother, Jonathan, had the foresight last summer to interview our three remaining grandparents via video.  He asked them questions about their life experiences and their overall world view.  I admit that I didn't take the time before now to watch them. (My life is CRAZY). But I did watch this one after Gramps' funeral, and sobbed like a baby. I share with you, now, just to share a little bit with you about this amazing man.



sitting around sharing our favorite Gramps memories
day after funeral hugs
cracker barrel breakfast
In front of our favorite (former) family business. The building is still in the fam. I miss the Fixture House so much.
I cannot describe the memories I have in this building, going to "work" with my grandparents every summer.
This house. My grandparents house. Every inch a memory. We officially have no one in the family living here anymore. My heart is broken.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter and Spring 2017 Recap (A "life of Brooke" shocker!!)

an epic week

pre-wedding festivities continue!