this is Charlotte??

I grew up in Charlotte in the 80's......when highway 51 was two lanes, Eastland Mall still had ice skating, there were no shopping centers between Matthews Festival and Tower Place Festival, the only YMCA in southeast Charlotte was Harris, and (hold your breath) Chick-Fil-A could only be found inside South Park Mall.

Now when I drive to Charlotte, my jaw hits the floor with all of the changes. Since when did Rea Road hit Providence Road TWICE? There are TWO Targets within a mile on Rea Road?? Since when is my old neighborhood, Wyndham, NOT in the country anymore?? What used to be farmland near Ardrey Kell is now a middle school and high school. And don't even get me started on Blakeney!!! I love that Charlotte is expanding, because it means that it has a booming economy. But.....I have to admit that I tear up when I barely recognize anything south of Highway 51 near my old stomping grounds. I miss driving by Earnhardts on Providence Rd West and the old volunteer fire department. I miss being able to drive along quiet country roads like I used to in 96 when I started to drive. "My" Charlotte......well, it's gone.

Comments

  1. You are SO right. We talk about that a lot when we visit back in Charlotte. It has changed a ton in really not that much time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winter and Spring 2017 Recap (A "life of Brooke" shocker!!)

an epic week

pre-wedding festivities continue!