Winter 2016 Recap



#BrokenKnee2016

The year started off with a bang. I'd like to say that I broke my kneecap in some epic fashion or with an amazing story (like saving a small child from a moving car). But, no. Leave it to me to break my knee from a fall on ice at a restaurant. My friends who know my lack of coordination are likely laughing right now. I don't blame them at all. 

Thankfully, I didn't have to have surgery. Thankfully, it was my left knee, and I was able to drive. But, wearing a straight leg brace for 9 weeks? And wearing a 90-degree bend brace for four weeks after that? UGH. The fall happened on January 18, and Physical Therapy lasted through this month. I feel like I deserve some sort of award for making it through Idaho winter with a broken knee. Seriously, friends, my patience grew by leaps and bounds through this experience. Never before has "one step at a time" rung so true in my life!! 


This was the LAST day of being able to wear boots of any kind for Winter 2016. Sigh. 

CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING 

Irony: falling in love with cross-country skiing three days before breaking the kneecap. My life is the epitome of irony. 

I had the MOST fun cross-country skiing in January at one of our local trails! I cannot wait to go back next year! 

My two Pocatello sister-friends! 


Have I mentioned that I love living in Idaho? 

TRIPS TO WASHINGTON 

I love being part of NODA (National Association of Orientation, Transition, and Retention in Higher Education), and I am grateful to have been able to take students to the regional conference this winter at Washington State University in Pullman! 










Then, back to Washington for the Northwest Title IX Invesigators Training. Walla Walla was warm, deliciously green, full of delicious food, and peaceful. Loved, loved, loved it! 


DOCTORAL COURSES 

Leadership and Organizational Development - CHECK
Finance in Higher Education - CHECK

I am now 20-percent of the way through my doctoral courses.  Slow and steady wins the race, right?

POCATELLO FRIENDS 

I say it always, and I never mean it any less. I am so grateful for these Idaho ladies! 

Celebrating Baby Lawrimore 
January Birthday Celebrations 




WORK EVENTS 

Initiation of our newest Omicron Delta Kappa members 
Greek Banquet 
Southeast Idaho Military Ball 
University Honors Program Tea - each table picked a theme - I chose "Downton Abbey" for my staff table- and channeled Anna Bates, who I adore. =) 


My Fitness Pal 

Three days before #BrokenKnee2016, I decided that this was my year to be healthy. I wanted to FINALLY lose the 30 pounds that I had gained over the last 8 years working in higher education.  I downloaded My Fitness Pal again, started Couch to 5K, bought healthy groceries, and was motivated.  Then.....broken knee. Sigh. 

I stubbornly decided that a stupid knee wasn't going to prevent me from losing the weight and being healthy, and so I focused on what I could focus on - FOOD. It worked.  Between January and April, I lost the first 13 pounds. And more than the pounds lost, I was in a new lifestyle of conscious eating that will stay with me, hopefully for the rest of my life. I do feel that I went about it the right way this time. I didn't do this in a striving way, and it wasn't about how other people see me. I did this  because I want to feel healthy, I want to live a long life, I want to have energy, and I want to be a good steward of my body (without its usual gluttony - #TRUTH). The goal once Physical Therapy is over is to get back on the cardio band wagon. I miss exercise endorphins!! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter and Spring 2017 Recap (A "life of Brooke" shocker!!)

pre-wedding festivities continue!

Capri and Getting Home (final italy blog)