Two Years of Pocatello
Two years in Idaho. {Insert "mind-blown emoji" - does that even exist?}.
I don't know where two years have gone, but I know that they have been monumental. There has been calm, and there has been stress. There has been extreme joy, and there has been sadness. There has been peace in the adventure, and there has been homesickness. Isn't that really the true essence of this human life, that we have highs and valleys? In fact, I do believe this was the very premise of an 80s sitcom. =)
In the midst of the "ride" of life, I remain so very contented with this Idaho adventure. God has truly ordained this journey, and has provided so many good things for me along the way.
My second year in Pocatello can be summed up by:
I don't know where two years have gone, but I know that they have been monumental. There has been calm, and there has been stress. There has been extreme joy, and there has been sadness. There has been peace in the adventure, and there has been homesickness. Isn't that really the true essence of this human life, that we have highs and valleys? In fact, I do believe this was the very premise of an 80s sitcom. =)
In the midst of the "ride" of life, I remain so very contented with this Idaho adventure. God has truly ordained this journey, and has provided so many good things for me along the way.
My second year in Pocatello can be summed up by:
Friendships
What started as 2-3 friends in year one became six in year two. I don't know how I got so lucky to have this group of Idaho friends. These ladies constantly encourage me, inspire me, and challenge me in my professional work. Whether we are eating at restaurants, taking weekend trips together, or just discussing life via text message......this group has made this Idaho experience so full of joy!
Professional Growth
The second year in Idaho was a tremendous year of growth for me as a professional in higher education. Perhaps the most wonderful thing about life and work is that we will never "arrive." (And thank goodness for that, right?) This role constantly provides me with opportunities to stretch my leadership skills, learn new systems, and to accept / move past my mistakes. My leadership in the northwest region of NODA (Association for Orientation, Transition and Retention in Higher Education) has connected me with some of the most incredible professionals in our country. In general, with each passing year of professional work, I am slowly more easily able to fight against the "imposter syndrome" which can so easily creep into my psyche and hinder the courage and confidence required to lead my team. There is utter peace that comes from realizing that a). it is okay not to know all of the answers, b). others expect good things from me and believe in me, and c). God brought me to it because He will ALWAYS help me through it. Amen!
Homesickness
It will never get easier to be away from family. It just won't, and I know it. During this second Idaho year, my precious grandmother (my "Weesie") had a stroke. Never have I felt so at a loss as to my role in the family. I used to always be there in times of crisis, illness, etc. Not being able to drive to Greenville, NC, to spend time with her and help my family tend to her broke my heart into millions of pieces. They, of course, didn't blame me for being away, but the entire situation went against my nature. She is recovering slowly, but thankfully she didn't lose speech or general movement at all. She's just slow-moving, now, and that's okay. We are immensely grateful that at age 88 she is still with us and able to hold conversations. In general, it is still heartbreaking to miss most birthdays, family gatherings, and reunions of my east coast friend groups......but I am learning to pray through that sadness, and to give my "helping heart' over to God, who is the better Shepherd of my loved ones, anyway. =)
Turning 35
I am writing this as I am actually about to turn 36, Ha!, but regardless, I turned 35 in my second year of Idaho life. I am NOT a fan of the half-way mark within decades. Sentimental 'ol me just can't deal. I just feel old, yall! As I turned 35, I bought a journal and spent quite a bit of time reflecting on "35 dreams and hopes" for that next year. It became exciting to give the year over to the Lord, let go of my control, and to more generally pray to be part of His story. Being His child and part of His story literally gives me chillbumps!! It makes the smallest encounters of life significant, and gives hope to any life frustration.
Hobbies!!
For years, I've wanted to have some sort of musical outlet. Love of music runs deep in nearly every member of my extended family, and I was raised in a home with an uber-talented music educator mother. I loved being in school choirs, singing solos, and taking piano lessons growing up. But aside from being in one (ridiculous) Sondheim musical in college, I hadn't pursued any musical hobby since middle school. So in Idaho, I decided to change that. I joined a community choir of the most precious music-loving people, and had a blast singing at "ISU Christmas" in the beautiful Stephens Performing Arts Center. I joined the praise team at my church in an effort to be involved in ministry, which turned into a significant blessing for me in terms of church fellowship.
Singleness
Yall, its a miracle. I have transitioned from four days a week of sadness about singleness to about one. Can I get an AMEN?? =) Oh, I still hate it, but praise God for peace!
So, blogger friends, I will end my year two summary with this - where God leads, goodness follows! I pray for myself and for those reading that we would never forget His goodness and His mercies every day.







Comments
Post a Comment