return to the secret garden

I have been visiting the little town of Greenville, NC, since birth, as almost my entire extended family from both sides lives there.  Okay, so it isn't as small as it used to be.  I have to give them credit that they now have at least one of every store that I would desire. (Any town with Ann Taylor Loft, Stein Mart, Chick-Fil-A, and Target is fine in my book).  But I do remember it being very different in my childhood.  Back then mom and pop shops were successful there, including my dad's parent's lighting fixture store.  (Let's just say that I have a love/hate relationship with Lowe's and Home Depot. Love them. Hate them for the monopoly on the "mom and pop shop").

But this post is not supposed to be a lament on the part of capitalism I don't like (and believe me, I actually am a fan of capitalism).  This post is once again about my favorite secret garden.  My mom's mom's wonderful back yard.  The woman is my hero.  I've said it before, but at 84 years old, she lives by herself and functions in her two story house.  She gets up every morning to pray for us all by name, then does her little Irish jig for exercise, then sits and emails.  Oh, then she works with her church to deliver meals, has been a deacon, and just finished helping with the children's choir.  She writes amazing poetry (see later post), and gave each of us a book of her poetry at Christmas.  The only thing that she truly cannot conquer on on her own anymore is the upkeep of her backyard garden.  So twice in the last year, my whole family has met at her house to spend a work day in her yard.  I missed the first one, but loved seeing everyone this time.


the instructions for this one were, "you are women. now, roar!" My mom so wins. Hysterical.
Explanation for the "wind blown" look in my mom's hair in the above picture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter and Spring 2017 Recap (A "life of Brooke" shocker!!)

pre-wedding festivities continue!

Capri and Getting Home (final italy blog)