25 year relationship
I may not be in a real relationship right now, but I swear that if Holden Beach were a person, it'd be the best relationship of all time. For 25 years Holden Beach has welcomed me with sunshine and smiles. I get chillbumps even thinking about driving over the bridge! It is where I feel most like myself. It is where I feel closest to God. If it weren't located in Brunswick County, I'd even consider moving there permanently. But let's be honest, is there even a college in Brunswick County? Nope. No job potential for me there.
I am lucky girl because I have a new friend whose family has a home at Holden. I just spent three days in heaven there, on a gloriously unexpected 80 degree October weekend. Really? 80 in October?? God is so amazing! I discovered a new love for home cooked seafood - although I will still have to go "out" for my fried shrimp. I learned how to crab - yes, I did. Did I touch? No. Abby did that. I walked past 10 different rental homes that I stayed in as a child. And wanted to cry. Life goes by too fast. Can I take the "wisdom" of 30 but be 10 years old again with no worries? Can my cousins and siblings be young again too, and running on the beach chasing sea gulls? Sigh. As I sat on the beach by myself, I also had visions of bringing my own kids there one day. I. Cannot. Wait. I know that they will love it just as much as I do. I've said for 10 years that I cannot wait to get my extended family together and rent a huge 10 bedroom house and let the next generation run around!
I am lucky girl because I have a new friend whose family has a home at Holden. I just spent three days in heaven there, on a gloriously unexpected 80 degree October weekend. Really? 80 in October?? God is so amazing! I discovered a new love for home cooked seafood - although I will still have to go "out" for my fried shrimp. I learned how to crab - yes, I did. Did I touch? No. Abby did that. I walked past 10 different rental homes that I stayed in as a child. And wanted to cry. Life goes by too fast. Can I take the "wisdom" of 30 but be 10 years old again with no worries? Can my cousins and siblings be young again too, and running on the beach chasing sea gulls? Sigh. As I sat on the beach by myself, I also had visions of bringing my own kids there one day. I. Cannot. Wait. I know that they will love it just as much as I do. I've said for 10 years that I cannot wait to get my extended family together and rent a huge 10 bedroom house and let the next generation run around!







I remember going to Holden with you for one of your birthdays!! Very fun. I LOVE the beach too!!!
ReplyDelete